Primal Cinnamon Coconut Macaroons
With the New Year, I decided to try out a new lifestyle by adopting a Paleo/Primal diet. I know there are distinctions to be made between Paleo and Primal living, just don't ask me what those distinctions are...my learning curve is kind of steep. For those of you who may not know, these diets are UNPROCESSED, HIGH FAT, HIGH PROTEIN, HIGH VEGGIE. For the last week I have been gluten, grain and dairy free. Eating this way is alleged to have all types of crazy health benefits, and though a week in I'm not yet superhuman, I have been sleeping like a baby and waking up refreshed, even at five a.m!
As you can imagine, most desserts are off limits with this diet but I was so excited to come across Elana's Pantry, an amazing blog filled with tons of delicious recipes for various dietary restrictions. These macaroons were adapted from Elana's recipe.
- 2 egg whites
- 1/4 cup of honey
- 1 1/2 tablespoons of cinnamon
- 2 1/2 cups of coconut flakes
- Start by mixing egg whites and honey together in a medium bowl.
- Add cinnamon and whisk until all ingredients are evenly blended.
- Mix in coconut flakes.
- Chill "batter" for thirty to forty-five minutes by placing the bowl in your fridge.
- Preheat oven to 350°
- Create firmly packed balls of "batter" and place onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes, the macaroons should have a gorgeous toasted color by this point.
I can't tell you how much we enjoyed these little treats. I'm not even a huge coconut fan, but I LOVED them, especially with the extra kick from the cinnamon.
If you're curious about the Paleo diet and lifestyle, check it out here!